Rolled roofing is an asphalt product which is oil-based and with a mineral surface that is available in rolls of 100 square feet and has a weight of approximately 75 lbs for every roll. People can easily find this at an online store or almost any store for home improvement. Rolled roofing appears similar to the asphalt shingles but they are considered thinner and less durable which is why they are considerably more affordable.
A person may conventionally go about the roofing of their property through the use of composite shingles. Rolled roofing is the same as any asphalt product that is oil-based. This may be the sole reason why rolled roofing is similar to asphalt shingles. However, shingles are thicker can capable of withstanding more. Aside from this, they may not be likely to tear and crack as the stress that is often put on it from any external force gets distributed on a wider area of parts that move individually. The design of rolled roofing is ideal for roofs that have a low slope. Whenever you have it installed on a residence, make sure that the roof can adapt before installing it. The roof’s pitch can determine if the roof is well-designed to adequately take care of the process.
Rolled roofing is highly beneficial to a lot of people because of its low installation cost. It can be cheaper to have rolled roofing installed compared to the other options as it may only require a minimum amount. Aside from that, you don’t have to worry about the underlayment as you may not be required to have it installed. The materials that are needed for the installation of rolled roofing include 11 gauge nails for roofing and the roofing rolls.
Rolled Roofing and Its Advantages
- It can be possible for local contractors in roofing to provide rates that are cheaper if you want to have it professionally installed.
- This option is the cheapest material for roofing as it has a price that is so much lower compared to the most affordable composite shingles. It is also inexpensive to acquire the products for installation like the nails.
- It can be quite easy to have the rolled roofing installed as they are not similar to the rolled shingles that needs to get installed one at a time. You can have this roofing rolled out in just a few minutes.
- Whenever roofs that are flat or have a low incline are involved, it may be the recommended product to cover these kinds of roofs. However, allowing the rolls to get hammered down on a flat roof may eventually allow the development of leaks.
- In case you experience problems whenever you remove your existing shingles, it is often permissible to have rolled roofing placed over the existing roof. Before you do this, you need to make sure that the gravel and debris is removed from the roof so you will not puncture the MSR.
- Having it transported can be really easy as rolled roofing is so much lighter compared to the composite shingles. The rolls are even rolled up tightly and sealed. Contractors in roofing often use cranes and a forklift so they can bring the composite shingles to the roof and allow the workers to take care of it. However, the rolls may also be easy to carry by any person as long as there is someone who can provide assistance.
Rolled Roofing and Its Disadvantages
- In comparison to the composite shingles, rolled roofing does not last as long and is less durable. Shingles are capable of working better compared to rolled roofing because they have a network of shingles that are interlocked loosely and capable of contracting and expanding without providing stress to every shingle. Rolled roofing may eventually tear apart because it is like having just one big shingle that does not have enough space to expand or contract throughout the season. Because of this, it may eventually end up tearing over time.
- In case you want to try a different color aside from the traditional black, you may not like rolled roofing as most of the roofing contractors only have black. There may be other colors like green, gray, and tan but it may be difficult to look for them.
- Compared to shingles that can last for two decades or more, rolled roofing has a lifespan of five to eight years which is fairly short. After using it for several years, it has the tendency to begin showing bald areas and lose its graining. Shingles can be more beneficial as these can shift and move with the home so they don’t crack and tear as easily as any rolled roofing material.
- It may also be vital to consider the appeal and attractiveness of rolled roofing if you plan to have installed in a residential area. Rolled roofing may not be a roofing method that people prefer whenever they want their home to stand out.
- Using rolled roofing on your property can also decrease its value. Some home buyers only consider installing rolled roofing as something that can have the roof fixed temporarily.
Roofer’s Elite LLC is Cumberland County’s premier company that specializes in residential roofing services. We are dedicated to provide excellent customer service that is second to none. Our team of professional, skilled roofers can perform a variety of roofing services like no other company. Whatever services you might require, our diverse company will help you achieve your ambitions without any hesitation. Whenever you are thinking of servicing, maintaining, or re-installing your roof, make sure to contact us.